Thank you for choosing to share this blessed sacrament with our Mission San Gabriel Community! Registration for baptisms must be done in the Rectory office, and we suggest planning the baptism at least 2 months in advance, especially if requesting a specific date.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR PROGRAM
- Child must be 6 yrs or younger. Children 7 and over, should be registered with the Faith Formation - First Communion program. Please contact Connie Perez at 626-457-3035, for more information.
- One Godparent is sufficient to sponsor a child, but no more than two (2) will be recognized by the Roman Catholic Church. Godparents must be 16 years of age and older, an active example of a good Catholic, and have received all sacraments (baptism, first communion, confirmation). Permitted Godparents include: man and woman, two women, or two men.
- If a couple is chosen as the Godparents, they MUST be married by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Parents and Godparents must attend a pre-baptismal class. A pre-baptismal class can be taken at any church, however, the class is also offered at Mission San Gabriel. There is a $20 donation for a group of up to four individuals and is payable on the day the class is taken by either cash or check.
REGISTRATION INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
To register your child(ren) for baptism, the following is required:
- Pre-baptismal Class must be taken and a Certificate of Completion must be presented for all parties, including parents and godparents.
- Child's Birth Certificate
- Registration Form completed (please see downloadable form to the right)
- Baptism donation of $60 (cash or check)
PRE-BAPTISM CLASSES INFORMATION (NO BAPTISM CLASSES OFFERED IN DECEMBER)
Mission San Gabriel offers pre-baptism classes to those individuals who are preparing for the Sacrament of Baptism. Please no children allowed as parents and godparents will be asked to actively participate. These classes take place in our Parish Center Hall from 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm, every month and the schedule is as follows:
- English Classes: Every 3rd Monday of each month, unless it is a holiday-then it will be moved to the 3rd Tuesday
- Spanish Classes: Every 1st Monday of the month unless it is a holiday- then it will be moved to the 1st Tuesday
There is a $20 donation for a group of up to four individuals and is payable on the day the class is taken by either cash or check. Please, no children allowed.
Baptism dates are reserved on a first come, first serve basis and all paperwork must be submitted before a date can be reserved (see requirements above under Registration Information and Requirements). Baptisms take place in the Old Mission (unless construction is going on), and a maximum of 10 children are baptized during the ceremony. Our baptism dates are scheduled as follows:
- English - Every 2nd & 4th Saturday of the month - 10:00 am - Old Mission Church
- Spanish - Every 1st & 3rd Saturday of the month - 10:00 am - Old Mission Church
Baptisms do not take place on any 5th Saturday of the month. We do not schedule private baptisms.
The child to be baptized must be dressed in white. Pews will be assigned and marked with child's name. Mission San Gabriel provides a candle for each child. You are welcome to bring in a candle and retain the other as a keepsake. Guests are allowed, but they are asked to be sit in the general seating area. Photo and video are allowed, BUT NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY.
MISSION SAN GABRIEL DOES NOT EMPLOY OR OFFER PRIVATE PHOTOGRAPHY NOR ARE WE LIABLE FOR ANY EXCHANGE OF MONIES OR RIGHTS TO PHOTOS. Any party that is approached by a photographer, and employs any photographer, is responsible for any monies given to photographer and the images taken and retained by her/him.